How to tips and tricks for Microsoft Visual Studio .net

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Word cannot register your account


I know that this isn't .net related, but I couldn't find much to help with this problem anywhere, and since I managed to solve it for myself, I thought I would post my solution here. I hope you don't mind.
If you receive the message "Word cannot register your account" when trying to register your account on Blogger.com, try the following…

I recently found something that may help with this problem. It is caused by your google account not allowing access to "less secure" applications. MS Word is one of them, and access is denied by default.

To allow less secure applications to sign in using your Google account, you need to change the access setting.

Follow the following link and select "Turn On": 

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

This will allow you to log into blogger through MS Office, and to post to your blog.

Please let me know how it works out for you in the comments.

1. Log into the Blogger settings page for your account.
2. Send an "Author" invite to yourself at a different Google account to the one you used to log into Blogger with.
3. Follow the link sent to your 2nd Google account, and log into Blogger using the 2nd Google account. This will set your 2nd account up on your blog with "Author" privileges.
4. Go back to word and use your 2nd Google account credentials to register using word on Blogger.
This worked for me. I hope it does for everyone else with this problem.
I haven't tried it, but it may just work to see if you can change your main Google account to have author privileges in Blogger instead of or as well as having "Admin" privileges.

8 comments:

  1. Didn't work for me.
    and I don't know why it should work at all, you just replaced an email with another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just replacing one e-mail address with another. It's setting the 2nd account up as an author. Admin doesn't seem to be allowed to register through Word for some reason. Are you sure you used the 2nd account to try register through Word?

    I'm sorry it didn't work for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This worked for me. I have no idea why it works but it does. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the same Google account with a second email. The invitation succeeded but Word refused to function. I guess an entirely separate Google account is worth a try, but I have no desire to proliferate accounts on one provider, so I suppose I'll just wait until hell freezes over, that being the day when Microsoft will decide to play nice with Google.

    ReplyDelete